Most people in the music industry don’t like to use press releases. They think that social media and other mediums are better for outreaching. While press releases may not be as cutting edge, they can still be an important way to communicate news about your band. Unfortunately, many musicians don’t know how to write them effectively. Here are some mistakes they make that you will want to be aware of.
Using the Wrong Language
Musicians naturally want to inspire people with their lyrics. This often comes through in their other writings. They tend to write press releases that sound like sales pitches or entertaining posts.
This isn’t the purpose of a press release. You need to objectively report newsworthy developments with your company. Press releases should be written in an objective, journalistic voice. They should tell people more about your band with objectively written facts rather than words that are promotional or entertaining.
You need to make it very clear what you are writing about. Too many artists improvise while they are trying to write a press release.
Make sure that you identify the primary purpose of the press release and focus on it consistently. It should be clearly established at the very beginning of the post and followed through to the end. Here are some of the things that you could focus on:
- You are launching a new album.
- You just added a new member to your band.
- You are performing at a given venue or raising money for a noteworthy cause.
- You are looking to connect with someone in a new area.
- You want to recap something from a recent concert.
Many artists try to combine too many messages into a single press release. If you have a number of things that you want to communicate then it is generally preferable to write a different one for each focus.
Not Including Relevant Information
You probably learned about the “5 Ws” in your current events classes in grade school. You need to make sure that your press release adequately covers all of them. However, there are a few additional details that you need to add as well.
A press release all needs to give people resources to follow up with you for more information. Here are some things that you should include:
- A link to your website or Facebook page
- Complete contact information (don’t limit yourself to the means of contact that you prefer, because people may feel more comfortable reaching you in other ways)
- A clear biography that tells people about you and your band. This should be updated periodically.
- Relevant quotes that support your news. Quotes add a personal touch to a press release and keep you from sounding like you are just tooting your own horn.
You need to make sure that your press release will both inspire people to take action and give people the information they need to do so. Keep this in mind while writing your press release.
Don’t Be Afraid to Ask for Help
Writing a press release can be a challenging task for many artists. Fortunately, you can always hire a press release writer if you are having trouble. These writers can make things much easier for you if you are struggling to structure your content yourself.
About the author: Kalen has been a full-time Internet for several years. He shares tips on blogging, writing press releases and social media marketing for offline businesses and newbie Internet marketers.